What is Conceptual Art? | WDIM

June 17, 2016


   One day found myself mesmerized by supreme and their massive growth throughout these past few years. A hypebeast brand no mentioning but a great achievement by the company. In the few weeks of Supreme craycray i researched on the infamous Supreme logo, known for its simple design, white text over a red background, but twas not an original idea. The credit is given to conceptual artist, Barbara Kruger, claimed was the one who coined the design. It goes really in depth but I'm not going to dive deeper. It raised my curiosity on conceptual art and what it represented or meant. So I made a quick Google search to find the meaning which was

   tbh, this didn't make much sense to me, so I went to the other source of reasoning, visual. Looked up a few images of conceptual art and was mind blown at the amount of creativity that these artists were portraying at the time. And from the images, I can say with my own perspective, nothing too poetic here, conceptual art is taking a normal everyday item/scenario/discussion and adding a twist to the image to make it mean more than it really is. For instance,


   by Martha Rosler called Cleaning the Drapes from her series House Beautiful : Bringing the War Home. Apart from the apparent diference in scenario, the woman whom is at home is cleaning the drapes of her home whilst maybe the man is in battle, war fighting for his country. It's a two-sided scenario where we see the perspective of both woman and man in their everyday routine. It's... weird but it works. I am trying my best here to find a meaning to all this but I hope I got it right. Twisting an image to depict more meaning.


   I do have a scuffle when trying to understand these types of images, but at times I feel there isn't much to be understood, or more so that should be, observing maybe the only requirement. For instance, the new music video by Coldplay, Up&Up. In it, was imagery of unexplainable occurrences such as this where a pod of dolphins were swimming above....just take a look.


   What do you call that, like daheck is that, I have no idea but for some reason watching the video throughout, I felt some kind of whimsical understanding like a fairytale which Coldplay is really good at insisting, also seen in Strawberry Swing. I just love love love the instances in the video, but I'm not sure if it's conceptual art (closest thing I can relate to) or something else I'm completely unaware of. It may or may not have a reasoning but not everything in this world has to have a complete basis. They went all out on this but to be fair, to whomever made this, I salute you because to me this is just... fun art.


Plus, who wouldn't want to see a popcorn popping volcano eruption :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Translate

Subscribe